Welcome to Club Cobalt!

Club Cobalt is your online home for Cobalt boat discussions and the best place to interact with, and learn from, other Cobalt boat owners.
Register Now

My Classic Cobalt

Discussion in 'Pictures & Videos' started by Muggsy, Jul 31, 2017.

1. Muggsy

Muggsy Administrator Founding Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Covington, LA
    1985 Cobalt CM23
    Center-mounted 383 Stroker w/Alpha jackshaft drive
    2006 Ford F250 6.0 Diesel
    Hi Everyone. I own, for the 2nd time, the same 1985 CM23. This boat is one of Cobalt's "C Series" of boats from the early and mid 80's. The "CM" in the model name stood for "Center Mount" referring to the location of the engine. The standard engine package in the CM23 was a Mercruiser 260 with an Alpha Gen I drive. But....there is a 5 1/5' driveshaft running from the engine back to the outdrive. Merc called it the Jackshaft model and thank God there are still parts available. The CS23, produced until 1988, had a more conventional engine/outdrive package and in the later years was offered with big block power and a Bravo drive. Mounting the engine in the center of the CM23 changed the weight distribution giving it a beautiful ride and allowing it to plane as slow as 11-13 knots. My boat below is not in the original colors and was painted sometime after 2000. IMAG0055.jpg
    I originally bought my boat with a partner in October of 1989 in Long Beach, CA. When purchased the boat only had 60 hours on it. My partner is the owner of two dockside restaurants in Long Beach, Schooner or Later and Tantalum. Schooner or Later was featured on the Food Channel show, Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives. She was a well-recognized vessel in Southern Cal and made the 26-mile trip to Catalina Island more than 400 times. During her 28 years in Long Beach she lived in salt water her entire life.
    IMAG0053.jpg Wanting a boat of our own and with the upcoming prospect of a relocation from Long Beach, my wife and I exited the partnership in 1998. I was absolutely in love with this model Cobalt and I wanted to find one of my own but in searching I discovered there just wasn't any available. My partner sold the boat to a friend who used the boat very little and did not keep her up in the way needed for a boat living in salt water. She wasn't abused but she was becoming neglected.

In the Fall of 2014 I had the opportunity to purchase the boat for the sum of $3500. Emotion got in the way of common sense and in hindsight, I overpaid for the boat. When I got her there was quite a bit wrong with her. However, never one to back down from a challenge, having 9 years of very intimate knowledge of her and an upcoming retirement, I brought her home to the Sacramento area. But she was in poor health and in serious need of attention....or being parted out. So she is now in the midst of a restoration/refurbishment. I am going to post more about that process and my progress in the proper section in the next few days.

I will say that to date, I have put a lot of money into the project but when finished I will have a boat that is pretty unique. Oh....I discovered the reason why I couldn't find another one. The CM23 was only made for 3 years; '83, '84 & '85 and during that three-year production run only 84 boats were built. In 1985, the year of my boat, only 15 were made. The serial number on mine is 015 which means I have the last CM23 ever produced. I know this is a windy post but I thought someone might be interested. If you are interested in the project check the Restoration section for progress. Thanks for indulging me.

Shawn.

Tonka Boater likes this.
  2. Tonka Boater

Tonka Boater Site Owner Staff Member

Jul 10, 2017
    Wayzata, MN
    1997 Cobalt 232
    502 MAG / Bravo I
    2016 Yukon Denali
    Happy to have you aboard, Shawn! Thanks for joining and I look forward to see the restoration updates.